Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Did They Really Say That? : Funny Interview Stories

A survey conducted in 2008 by Monster , the world’s largest internet job search site and Development Dimensions International , a talent management company, asked hundreds of companies to list bizarre interview stories. The following are some notable accounts as told by hiring managers:
“Candidate wore a Walkman and said she could listen to me and the music at the same time.”
“Balding candidate abruptly excused himself. Returned to office a few minutes later, wearing a hairpiece.”
“Candidate stated that, if he were hired, he would demonstrate his loyalty by having the corporate logo tattooed on his forearm.”
“Candidate explained that her long-term goals were to replace the interviewer.”
“Candidate wouldn’t get out of the chair until I would hire him. I had to call the police.”
“A telephone call came in for the job applicant. It was from his wife. His side of the conversation went like this: ‘Which company? When do I start? What’s the salary?’ I said, ‘I assume you’re not interested in conducting the interview any further.’ He promptly responded, ‘I am as long as you’ll pay me more.’ I didn’t hire him, but later found out there was no other job offer. It was a scam to get a higher offer.”
“Candidate asked who the lovely babe was, pointing to the picture on my desk. When I said it was my wife, he asked if she was home now and wanted my phone number. I called security.”
“Applicant interrupted the interview to phone her therapist for advice on how to answer specific interview questions.”
“Candidate said, ‘I can’t work with women.’ (The interviewer was a woman).
“A job applicant challenged the interviewer to an arm wrestle.”
And the list goes on. So next time you think you’ve completely botched that interview or you feel that you blurted a silly answer to a question, think again. It could’ve been much worse.


Smile brought to you by...
Jessica Sanders

No comments:

Post a Comment